Jornalism

Robert Burns was born on January 25, 1759 in the village of Alloway. He was born into a peasant family and worked in agriculture. In 1781 Burns joined the Masonic Lodge that  had strongly influenced his work. Since 1783 Robert begins to compose verses in the Aishirian dialect. In 1786 Burns published the first book "Poems, Chiefly in the Scottish dialect". In 1787 Burns moved to Edinburgh and became a member of the high society. But all above he is interesting as a poet. As for me, I prefer his poem "A Red, Red Rose". And I want to share with you my translation of this work. Maybe you will like my interptitation.

                                                      Любовь, как красная роза
Любовь моя, как роза                                                             
С цветушего куста,
Звучит она как проза,
В мелодии нужда.

Коль ты красавица моя,
То буду верен тебе я.
Не сыщешь ты героя,
Пока не высохнут моря.

Пока не высохнут моря,
Не сплавятся все горы,
Дорогая, я буду любить тебя,
Несмотря на все отпоры.

Пусть нам грозят тревоги
И разлучают пусть,
Но я найду дороги,
И обязательно вернусь!


From my point of view Mikhail Lermontov and Robert Burns are similar writer. I will analyze the poem "She sings and sounds melt" and prove my position.


Она поёт — и звуки тают,
Как поцелуи на устах,
Глядит — и небеса играют 
 В ее божественных глазах;
Идет ли — все ее движенья,

Иль молвит слово — все черты
Так полны чувства, выраженья,
Так полны дивной простоты.


These two lyrical works are filled with love. Writers dedicated these poems to women with whom they were fell in love. Moreover they compared these feelings with something awesome and unrepeatable.


Love is amazing in all its manifestations! That's why poets beautifully described not only the relationship between a man and a woman but also their homelands. Actually  motherland for a real patriot is bewitching and it doesn't matter poor it's country or rich. We can compare it with the help of poems of two poets from different countries. Mikhail Lermontov from Russia with the poem "My country"and Robert Burns from Scotland with the poem "My heart's in the highlands". 

My heart's in the hignlands 

My heart’s in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart’s in the Highlands, a-chasing the deer;
A-chasing the wild deer, and following the roe,
My heart’s in the Highlands wherever I go.

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birth-place of valour, the country of worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

Farewell to the mountains high cover’d with snow;
Farewell to the straths and green valleys below;
Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods;
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods:

My heart’s in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart’s in the Highlands, a-chasing the deer;
A-chasing the wild deer, and following the roe,
My heart’s in the Highlands wherever I go.

My country

I love my land, but with a queer passion,
My mind isn't able to absorb it, yet!
Nor glory, purchased by the bloody actions,
Nor peace, in proud confidence inlaid,
Nor sacred sagas of the days of yore
Will stir my pleasant fancies any more.
But I do love - and I don't know why -
Her endless plains' indifference and silence,
Her endless forests' ever swaying wildness,
Her rivers' floods which, like the sea, are wide.
I love to gallop in a cart on roads,
And peering slowly through darkness of the nights,
And idly dreaming of the night abodes,
To meet the solemn hamlets' twinkling lights.
I love the smell of the burnt-out stubble,
The wagons, sleeping in the steppe,
And gleaming of the birches' marble,
Midst cornfields on the hillocks' steps.
And with a joy, that's little known,
I see a full and stout barn,
A cottage covered with straw,
And shutters that are fairly done.
And in the holly dewy evening,
I'm glad to watch until midnight,
The dances, filled with stamps and whistling,
To murmur of the peasants, tight. 


First of all we can notice that both writers fell in love with their countries. We can see it in the lines of the poems. Robert Burns wrote "for ever I love" and Mikhail Lermontov wrote "I love my land". However, in order to better understand the feelings of poets, I will try to find synonymous pairs in poems.
1. valour - bloody actions
Writers talk about the courage that manifested in their countries.
2. green valleys - endless plains
One of the writers see an eternally green color, another describes the immense dimensions of his homeland
3. wild-handing woods - swaying wildness 
We can see a similarity in the description of trees. Authors are associated it with something hanging in the air. 
4. loud-pouring flood - dewy 
Burns talks about an incredibly huge amount of water while Lermontov notices only tiny dewdrops. 
5. You can see that Mikhail Lermontov uses such adjectives as "twinkling" and "gleaming" for the description of the motherland. From his point of view Russia sparkles like a diamond. However Robert Burns does not use similar words. 

With the help of comparison of two poems by remarkable authors we can get acquainted with the nature of two different countries. Moreover, poems help us find synonyms and expand our vocabulary. 
Why writers of different eras so similar in poems? It is probably necessary to analyze the biography of writers. An interesting fact that paternal family of Lermontov descended from Scotland. Mikhail Lermontov dedicated his poem "Desire" to his alleged Scottish roots. Moreover Lermontov was one of the translators of Burns's poems into Russian language.  









Комментарии

  1. Good start. What are you interested more in Burns' poetry or in his life?

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Thanks for presenting and comparing so beautiful poems. I'm so shocked reading your original translation! Your poem is great! Please, let us know if these two poets have any other similarities except their poems or not (childhood, education, family, wives...)

    ОтветитьУдалить

Отправить комментарий

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Word formation 4

word formation 3

word formation 2